Re: Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 07.11.2015 um 20:36 schrieb drago01:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> the point is compile a single application with new features won#t gain
>>> that
>>> muc 8until you do the same with most libraries used by the software) but
>>> having the whole distribution is a summary with a completly different
>>> behavior than a single test of software xyz
>>

>> Uh no you just have to compile the software any libraries used by the
>> hot paths of the software you are trying to test.
>

> for which one?
> that don't show the impact on a complete distribution anyways

There is no such thing as "the complete distribution" ... the flags
used to compile libreoffice won't affect http or firefox.

>>> if there would be no difference kernel upstream won't invest that much
>>> time
>>> for runtime-cpu-detection (look at the bootlog on different hardware)
>>>
>>> here are examples
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU0MTY
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI1Njc
>>

>> You missed the point completely.
>>
>> 1. AVX != (S)SSE3
>

> i know that

Then don't cite unrelated links.

>> There are lots of workloads that would benefit from AVX but SSE3
>> doesn't add that much  (enabling SSE2 on i686 would gain you more for
>> instance).
>

> enable SSE3 don't diable SSE2
> so "gain you more" is impossible

I meant "i686 + SSE2" (which we don't do for the same reason) gains
more than "x86_64 + sse3".

>> 2. Runtime detection does not have the cost of dropping support for
>> specific hardware
>

> runtime detection needs to be implemented in every relevant software at it's
> own and hence has a *high cost*

Not really its a common practice for software that does matter; even
glibc does it.

> add -msse3 to the default falgs have no costs at all but only an impact of a
> unknown amount f *very* outdated hardware which is unlikely running a
> bleeding edge distribution

As you just wrote in that very paragraph the cost is dropping support
for a set of hardware.
We have no numbers on how much if at all it would help.

> frankly whatever somebody has run on a 10 years old machine can be easily
> virtualized and i doubt that many people have a 10 years old computer as
> their only device, as far there is something with a core2 or newer in the
> house you can virtualize the other machine and save a lot of energy

Depends on the device. Virtualizing a laptop for instance won't make much sense.