Re: Fedora 23 Final RC10 status is GO !

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 12:45:36 -0500
Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...snip...

> ​I'm hopeful we can get to this with Rawhide prior to the branching
> point, but can our infrastructure handle it?​ I'm somewhat ignorant
> of the capabilities of the Fedora infrastructure...

Yes, as I noted we are working on it.

> Perhaps full release validation could occur on composes every two
> weeks for branched releases? Or is that still too demanding?

No idea. I don't want to speak for the QA folks.

> ​Could we slip in some settings for TCs that trigger distro-sync
> behavior by default on "dnf upgrade"? Or would this still be
> undesirable?​

90% of the time you can just downgrade a package and it's fine.
However, the other 10% of the time it just won't work. Your postgresql
database will have a different format. Your package will move a
directory to a link or vice versa. The package will have migrated your
settings to the new version and the old version will crash.

> ​I think it'd be pretty nice if we could use our mix of automated
> tests and checks for composing weekly snapshots of rawhide that would
> be "installable" and "usable". This is not a particularly new
> idea[0], but in light of the openSUSE guys being able to pull it off
> with Tumbleweed, I don't see why we can't get there too. ​It might be
> a little more "raw" than Tumbleweed and serve somewhat a different
> purpose, but I think it would make testing the state of the
> development tree far easier.

Absolutely. We already are. OpenQA has been detecting problems, and we
have been fixing them. I think this will result in a increased amount
of time that rawhide images are installable.

Thats only sort of related to discussions about releases and updates
tho. ;)

kevin