Re: Fedora 23 Final RC10 status is GO !

On 11/01/2015 09:06 AM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Today we got 531 updates for F23 , IMO, you should include it on Fedora
> 23 Final before GA , doesn't make sense (to me) after download an ISO
> have 1/2 Giga of updates, but this happens since RedHad 9 at least .
> IMO, testing team should respin ISO with updates and testing again .
> I have some difficulty in following all development, fortunately Fedora
> is always at great speed, but it is not easy to follow. And do more
> tests we not lose anything, IMHO.

Ideally, once the release is GA, deltarpms should mitigate most of the
download cost. Alternatively, you can use the netinstall ISO image
instead (usually about 450 MB or so), and then the newest versions of
packages in the repositories will be download on-demand during install
time. (You can also achieve this by adding the updates repository during
install time on a regular installer image.)

While recreating the installer with more updates may seem like a good
idea , unfortunately it requires more server resources and more
man-hours during which we'd have to freeze with that set of updates. I
feel that if we did that, by the time the testing for that respin is
complete, that new release will itself have a huge number of pending
updates and it could create a cycle of respin-test-respin-test-etc. that
would detract our already-limited community resources from advancing
toward the next release.

Regards.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>