Re: Better irc policies?

On 10/15/2015 08:27 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:15:50AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
Is there a plan for dealing with IRC nicks and the Hubs chat?

There's an IRC nick field in FAS. My thoughts were by default for
new users we'll prepopulate it with their FAS account name; if
you've a preexisting account put in whatever your usual IRC nick is.
If you use hubs as an IRC client, use the nick from FAS. If there's
a nick collision / somebody's already registered it, I don't know
that it would be so difficult to detect that and prompt the user to
pick another one.

Was that the concern or is there something I'm missing?

Most of us have this set up in our clients so long that we've forgotten
about it, but the process of registering a new nick with Freenode drops
people right in the middle of IRC esoterica before they're even able to
get started.

I don't think this is insurmountable, I think if there's a nick collision we prompt for a new one and update the FAS field; if there's no collision we register it for them using their FAS email address and maybe making up a password for them. For pre-existing users there can be a field in FAS or in user prefs for their nickserv pass.

~m