Re: Packaging of PlayOnLinux

Le 14/10/2015 17:46, Bastien Nocera a écrit :

> [...]
e_not_useful_without_external_bits

I think that the idea behind this wording was "runtime dependencies". To
deny
>> application which can not even run without those proprietary
>> deps. PlayOnLinux is mainly for games, but you can run any
>> Windows program using that. Even Gimp or Firefox (I could not
>> remember program which does not have native linux version and is
>> free). So it may not be useful for you, but it can be useful for
>> somebody else.
>>
>> For me PlayOnLinux is much closer to virt-manager.

I aggre with that

The question is: Can we consider PlayOnLinux as an emulator ?
I think it is not:
PlayOnLinux only use wine, who is permitted on Fedora.
PlayOnLinux appears to me more like a "wine session manager". It allow
to create and manage many wines virtuals drives, configure them, with
differents versions of wine itself.

But, we have to be very careful with this software since it downloads
scripts and icons from the web (in the automated installer part)...
And it can install for example IE or steam by simply clicking a
button, without any mentions of the proprietary part of these
software. I don't know if this is legal from the point of vue of our
lawyers :)

But, I think, with a little bit of work, it can be packaged.

Alexandre

>>> And emulators aren't allowed in Fedora.
>>
>> What? You mean like Wine, all those terminal emulators, QEMU,
>> atari++, hercules, fuse-emulator and lots of others?
>
> The ones listed here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:SoftwareTypes?rd=Licensing/So
ftwareTypes