Re: Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

> * Kevin Kofler [08/10/2015 02:33] :
>>
>> The thing is, it should NOT matter at all how upstream feels. If we treat
>> unbundling as something to do with upstream, we already failed.
>> Unbundling must be done whether upstream likes it or not, even in
>> upstream's spite! And
>
> At this point, you're better off forking the project. You'll be doing the
> same thing with less emphasis of the fact that it's for Fedora (so
> packagers of the original upstream will join in more easily) and users
> will not be directed to a hostile upstream (since you'll be the upstream
> of the new project).

That just does not make sense. The changes (usually focused on the build
system) required to support system libraries are in no relation to the
entire upstream project. Forking the entire upstream project just to fix its
broken build system would in most cases be a HUGE waste of resources. This
kind of changes belong into patches. They can be easily rebased to new
upstream versions.

        Kevin Kofler