Re: Unable to submit update for F22 (was Re: bodhi 2 now live)

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 00:39:20 +0200
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > This is correct.  The infra team discussed this some time ago and
> > since Github does nothing to lock up the resources we care about,
>
> So you'd only see lock-in to proprietary infrastructure as a problem
> if they were actively locking things up?
>
> Even if now, everything can be exported, who says the feature will
> not have been removed by the time we need it? Sure, you have local
> clones of the git repositories, but what about issues in the issue
> tracker?

Theres a bunch of tools out there to export issues from github.

> > and exposes our code to a much wider (*1000 at least) group of
> > developers,
>
> If a developer wants to contribute to Fedora infrastructure, surely,
> signing up for a FAS account cannot be an unacceptable barrier to
> entry!

I'm not able to parse this really... but sure, if you don't want to go
to github, as I noted N emails back, you are welcome to use the
fedorahosted trac or patches in emails to lists.

> > among other reasons, judged it OK.  Having a PR-based workflow has
> > helped the team be a lot more agile at no cost to the freedom of our
> > code.
>
> I still don't get what is supposed to be easier about:

...snip...

I'm not going to convince you to use github.
It doesn't matter if you or I like it, lots and lots of other people
do.

> > Be that as it may, there is now pagure, and I imagine many if not
> > all of these repos will be moving there.  Incidentally, pagure has
> > some functionality to allow bidirectional code movement with
> > Github, which gets the best of both worlds.
>
> Code, yes, but what about issues?

You can export them via a number of tools.

> > If someone doesn't like making a Github account, in the interim
> > they're still free to fork as would be usual for any repo (including
> > hundreds of projects we carry in Fedora repositories), and send a
> > patch to the list.
>
> And how should they report a bug without a GitHub account if you
> point everyone to GitHub as your official issue tracker?

Well, they could use the fedorahosted trac, or the infrastructure
mailing list or irc or whatever.

This is likely my last reply in this thread, as I noted N mails ago,
bodhi is likely to move to pagure.io now that we have that and it gets
us most everything github has.

So, trying to convince us to move this project from github when we are
already doing it seems... pointless.

kevin