Re: Rawhide plans

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 09:18:04 -0600,
 Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2. Upgrading from a stable release is also often hard due to broken
deps, resulting in having to remove packages just to get upgraded.

dnf works much better than yum for this. You can use distro-sync with the --allowerasing option to do an update. If there are file conflicts, you might have to remove a handful of packages and retry it. You can use script to keep track of what actually got erased. You might need to upgrade the kernel first as distro-sync may try to remove your running kernel and then abort the update. If you run rawhide nodebug kernels this won't normally be an issue.

A few days ago I went from f22 to branched on a system with over 17000 packages installed and things went well. I had to remove a couple of packages that had a file conflict before being able to do the update and one package's clean up script hung and I had to manually kill it to let the upgrade procede.

rpmfusion is messed up for branched and rawhide right now (the packages haven't been rebuilt since f22 and this is resulting in soname conflicts) so having the superior depsolving of dnf is really useful right now.