Re: noarch vs. all, x86_64 vs. amd64, kernel vs. linux and PAE

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sáb, 2015-08-15 at 21:22 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> On 8/14/15, Wei-Lun Chao <bluebat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there already any discussion about:
> > rename arch name "noarch" to "all"
> > rename arch name "x86_64" to "amd64"
> > rename package name "kernel-PAE" to "kernel"
> > and even rename package name "kernel" to "linux"
>
> noarch doesn't mean all, and what's 'all' exactly? All archs? All
> Fedora versions?
>
> x86_64 and amd64 are just some Debianish still, perhaps last straw to
> show amd somewhere or whatever?

yeah, Debian names are all wrong , so I'd suggest do the opposite ,
Debian (and Ubuntu) change "all" to "noarch" , "amd64" to "x86_64" and
"linux" to "kernel" .
BTW: Debian also should change the apache package name to httpd, Apache
is an organization not a web server, the web server of Apache is the
httpd.

Best regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.

​To be fair, Debian's use of "linux" over "kernel" is because they actually support another kernel (the FreeBSD kernel). If the Fedora Project wanted to add FreeBSD kernel support (which, as far as I know, we don't), then we would have to talk about how to deal with that issue. Though even then, it's pretty easy, since all we would have to do is change kernel and kernel-devel into virtual packages that kernel-linux or kernel-freebsd would be able to satisfy.

The usage of "all" in Debian is largely because the way they treat architecture independent data differs from how we do it in Fedora. They try to ensure the architecture independent data is fully reusable across all architectures they support, while the nature of our packages mean that "noarch" could differ among architectures and basically means that it doesn't have any binary data.

The naming of httpd and bind and a whole bunch of other packages in Debian is somewhat annoying, since it doesn't really respect upstream's wishes, but whatever...​