Re: [Fedora-packaging] Is it time to allow Chromium in Fedora?

On 12/08/15 17:14, Matthew Miller wrote:

It's important to note that "popularity" is not the sole reason for
exceptions for Firefox. Overall, everyone should review the existing
discussion in the guidelines about bundling exceptions and consider how
this might fit in (possibly including revisions if they make sense):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries#Some_reasons_you_might_be_granted_an_exception

Well, while true (I think), isn't this only one side of the coin? The other is then the unresolved question how to make it easier to establish a useful set of tools which includes sw which for good reasons (non-free, GL breakage, etc) cannot be part of Fedora.

I wish I had some good solution, but... However, note all these "post-install" Fedora howtos out there which describes how to install things which is needed for many users, but cannot be part of Fedora repos (Chromium is one example). Is there really nothing we can do about this?

"scratching my head"

--alec