Re: Btrfs as default filesystem for Fedora 23?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Over the last few months (since Fedora 22 beta's release), I've been using
> Btrfs as my daily driver filesystem across a multitude of machines. After
> Fedora 22 released, I tried it with RAID 5 and RAID 6 enabled on a few
> machines with fantastic success (there aren't even any scary warnings about
> being experimental anymore!).
>
> Admittedly, my tests have been specific to my needs (media center storage,
> workstations, laptops with SSDs, etc.), but it appears to work really well
> now.
>
> Also, with kernel 4.1 imported into rawhide, we've now got performance
> improvements for large (>20TB) filesystems (though it's been plenty fast for
> my 48TB array).
>
> As I recall, Josef Bacik mentioned that he'd be pushing for Btrfs becoming
> the default in Fedora 23. At this point, I'm personally convinced that it is
> certainly ready and doable for F23.
>
> Perhaps other guys with more experience on this stuff could chime in with
> feedback/information/etc, but it feels like we should start the process to
> get everything ready for Btrfs being default in Fedora 23.
>
> The question now is: as a distribution, where are we on this? The tools seem
> to work, the filesystem appears stable, and I've not been able to cause the
> filesystem to corrupt itself with any kind of user error or cause it to keel
> over. So, what's left?

Sorry I completely missed this conversation.  I'm not interested in
pushing btrfs into Fedora now.  There is nobody to support it if
things go wrong.  If you want to use btrfs you can, or you can use
Suse.  We're finding and fixing things in our internal testing at
Facebook, and the power fail testing stuff I added early this year has
given me a lot of confidence in our ability to not lose all of your
data due to some weird bug.  In a few months we'll have switched over
lots of our boxes onto btrfs so that will give us a pretty good way to
keep track of stability in a production environment.  After that I
imagine it'll be good to go for Fedora, but that'll be somebody else's
decision, I'm no longer super interested in driving anything in
Fedora.  Thanks,

Josef