Re: and legacy software Re: pyorbit

On Sat, 2015-08-01 at 03:24 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > You're just 8 years late for noticing that:
> > https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/xse
> > ttings/gsd-xsettings-manager.c#n79
> > and the explanation has been here for 4 years.
>
> That is not the place I was talking about. That is the gnome-settings
> -daemon
> default, it only applies when you're running gnome-settings-daemon as
> your
> XSettings manager (i.e., basically only under GNOME). I'm talking
> about the
> toolkit default inside GTK+ 3, which is used if the XSetting is NOT
> set.
> That is what recently changed. xsettings-kde, the XSettings manager
> running
> in KDE Plasma sessions, expects the toolkit to honor the hardware DPI
> if the
> relevant XSetting is not set, as Qt does. It only sets an explicit
> DPI value
> if the user set an explicit DPI value in KDE System Settings. So GTK+
> 3 now
> displays with the wrong font sizes in KDE Plasma sessions.

In other words, xsettings-kde makes unjustified assumptions, and you
blame gtk.

But before we drop this as leading nowhere: what is the hardware dpi
you're talking about ? Should I use the value that cairo tells me ? Or
fontconfig ? or x resources ? or the display size ? or parse the edid
data myself ?