Re: Help needed: F23 32-bit kernel issue

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:36:07AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> Secondly, it would be excellent if someone could commit to spinning
>> test ISOs when requested.  Turn around time on bugs like this are
>> quite lengthy given that they often require building a new kernel
>> package, and then spinning a custom ISO with that package included.
>> Ideally the ISO content would not change from spin to spin other than
>> the kernel, to eliminate variables.
>
> Could qemu-sanity-check[1] help here?  It's designed so that you can
> test if a kernel boots on qemu, in a very simple manner (it was
> actually designed to be run from kernel.spec so we'd never build and
> ship a non-working kernel again).

No, because the environment on the boot.iso/DVD image is what is
triggering the bug.  You need a full compose with the kernel.

I already mentioned we autotest the kernel in VMs and it doesn't hit
this bug.  Running it there (or even moreso from kernel.spec) cannot
possibly cover all scenarios, so claiming it would prevent shipping a
non-working kernel again is inaccurate given that setup didn't catch
this.  More testing always helps, but nothing will provide the claim
you make.

josh