Re: Improving our processes for new contributors.

On 07/15/2015 07:03 PM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:05:40 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

I do understand where you're coming from: the Fedora workflow is quite
complicated
What exactly do you find "quite complicated"?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
I was responding to Les' comment about the tools that one needs to use
in order to package something: RPM, VCS, i18n, lib/autotool, COPR,
Bodhi, mock, etc.  Don't get me wrong---I am not saying that there's
anything wrong with the tools, just that they seem easy to those who
already mastered them, but may be intimidating to the uninitiated.

Well, I consider knowledge about rpm, VCS, <programming language> to be elementary basic prerequistes to join as Fedora packager. Of course you don't need to be familiar with everything, but you should understand what you are doing - Assuring this is the aim of package-sponsors process.

I agree with you that the Fedora specifics "koji", "bodhi", Fedora's git, Fedora's web sites leaves much to be desired. Getting into these is a steep entry hurdle.

However, making new packagers familiar with this to an extend, which enables them to self-aid then, used to be the job of a new packager's *sponsor* (I prefer to call them "mentors").

It seems to me as if this aspect has almost be forgotten and packager-sponsors become a passport rubber-stamping duty.

This is my point, actually, that it's hard for a packaging pro to
appreciate the confusion of a newbie. Some kid-glove treatment, and ELI5
tutoring/mentoring might help.

Well, I agree with you wrt tutoring/mentoring, but ... this has always been part of job of the "sponsor" - seriously, really.

Ralf