Re: FreeTDS

Thanks, I got it ;-)

Michael Schwendt schrieb:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:51:22 +0100, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens wrote:

You said that FC3 "comes" with unixODBC.
In fact, I did a clean install, and it does not.
I was in the need to install it manually.

You misread my comment. Let's see:

%package unixodbc
Requires: freetds = %{version}, unixODBC >= 2.2.9

Fedora Core 3 includes unixODBC 2.2.9, the dependency on libodbcinst.so.1
is automatic, so the explicit dependency on a package called
unixODBC doesn't add any value. Be careful with "explicit Requires".
If Fedora Core 4 moved libodbcinst.so.1 into a package with a different
name, this dependency would break.

Rephrased: In Fedora Core 3, unixODBC 2.2.9 is included, even it it may not be installed by default. That means, the version of unixODBC available in FC3 is sufficient for your requirements. When your package is built, it will include an automatic dependency on libodbcinst.so.1, which will cause package tools to select the package that provides libodbcinst.so.1. No need to specify an explicit dependency on a fixed package name and a minimal version which is included in FC3 anyway. [Remainder of my comment unchanged]

HTH