Re: Sponsor shortage

Hi Michael,

On 11 July 2015 at 23:56, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> More interesting is: What has happened between 2012-09-20 and 2014-07-28?
> No comments, no version updates. ==> A lost opportunity to practice
> maintaining the package, and a lost opportunity to demonstrate your
> interest in the package. I mean, if you've packaged it and use it, why
> would you ignore the several new releases and not even comment on
> them?
> And almost two years are a lot of time to attempt at doing a few
> reviews (even if only other Python based packages). And no questions
> about the process in two years? ==> That's the classical sit-and-wait
> passively scenario I've pointed out. Of course, some packagers only
> show impatience and repeatedly post one-line ping-like comments, such
> as "So, is the package ready to be included?" instead of referring to
> the process howtos and specific steps to be done. A lost opportunity
> to show that you're aware of the documentation and familiar with where
> to find it.

What I'm getting here is that you have a very clear aspirations and
expectations of what activities a new contributor should be engaging
in. The questions I think are interesting are:

a) Are we making these expectations clear enough to new contributors?
b) Are we using our available tools and mechanisms optimally to
facilitate and encourage those activities?

I would welcome your thoughts on those two points (and anyone else who
wants to contribute, of course).

Cheers,
Jonathan.