Re: Re: octave 4.0.0

On Tuesday 07 July 2015 23:44:03 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I am one of the comaintainers of the qtoctave package. I know the package is
> dead upstream. But last I checked, it worked. (There had been some issues, but I
> fixed those that I found.) If it still works fine, I object to retiring it.
>
> That said, I admit I haven't had the occasion to try the new Octave GUI yet. It
> may or may not be an adequate replacement for all users.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Please note octave FAQ
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Why_did_you_create_yet_another_GUI_instead_of_making_one_that_already_exists_better.3F

In this case the important thing is the last (and a half) paragraph:

"Also, many bits from QtOctave were reused in the GUI.

QtOctave was a great and very useful tool. It looked beautiful and we are thankful to its developers for working on such a nice tool. However, it would have never been stable as it was. But most of all, the developers made it free software so we could reuse large chunks of it which were incorporated in what is now the Octave GUI."

Notice also that the octave GUI, that is now the default, was also released for version 3.8 more than 1.5 years ago in that in my usage, I use it in classes, it is more stable than qtoctave ever was. Before that I have used qtoctave so I am aware of the problems presented by qtoctave.

As Orion says the octave GUI is based on Qt (IIRC it supports both version 4 and 5).

Regards,
--
José Abílio