Re: Thunderbird-38.0.1 integrates lightning? Very disturbing!!

On 30 June 2015 at 17:22, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 30.06.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Ahmad Samir:
>>
>> IIUC, what's happening here is that they bundle the extension with
>> Thunderbird 38 so it's installed and enabled by default; so when you
>> create a new Thunderbird profile,
>>
>> /usr/lib*/thunderbird/distribution/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/
>> will get copied to ~/.thunderbird/<PROFILE_NAME>/extensions; that also
>> happens if you run 38.0.1 for the first time and didn't have the
>> Lightning extension already installed (I was surprised to see the
>> calendar pane in Thunderbird after updating to 38.0.1, since I didn't
>> have that extension installed previously).
>>
>> Also (IIUC) Lightning will be updated in your profile, just like any
>> other user-installed extension.
>>
>> So what you can do is just copy the dir from
>> /usr/lib*/thunderbird/distribution/extensions and restart Thunderbird
>> or re-install it from addons.mozilla.org, I think either would lead to
>> the same result
>

> but that all makes zero sense
>
> * i had lightning installed for many years as user extension
> * i never used the rpm because it was always too late after TB updates
> * now due start TB 38 it was updated
> * it is still a user-extension in the profile
> * if i uninstall it it's gone
> * the files from the package still exists unused
>
> the point is if it is now part of the TB package it should be present after
> uninstall the extension in the user-profile becasue the state now is no
> improvement at all and just wasting space for no gain

This is an upstream change; from this blog post[1] I gather that
upstream's intention is that Lightning is installed and enabled by
default when you use the upstream binary tarball; the same applies for
the distro-packaged version.

- This change doesn't affect the user if he already has Lightning installed
- With a new TB profile the user is presented with a notification
about the extension, and he can disable/remove it
- This is a one time "offer", so if the user uninstalls Lightning it
won't be auto-installed again for that TB profile

[1] https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/06/thunderbird-38-released/

--
Ahmad Samir