Re: F23 Self Contained Change: Astronomy Spin

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:41:04AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-06-26 at 10:32 -0400, Jan Kurik wrote:
> > = Proposed Self Contained Change: Astronomy Spin =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Astronomy_Spin
> >
> > Change owner(s): Christian Dersch <lupinix at mailbox dot org >
> >
> > A Fedora Spin providing a complete toolchain for both amateur and
> > professional astronomers.
> >

> > == Detailed Description ==
> > In both amateur and professional astronomy and astrophysics Linux is
> > a very popular operating system. More and more data analysis is
> > performed using Python, especially the astropy project is a quite new
> > effort providing a professional toolchain. The Astronomy Spin
> > provides a complete scientific Python environment (2 and 3) as well
> > as the AstrOmatic software. For observational astronomy, KStars
> > provides a complete solution for astrophotography using the INDI
> > library. In addition to an astronomical collection of packages the
> > spin also adds a menu for astronomy to make work more comfortable.
> >

> > == Scope ==
> > * Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> > * Release engineering: Add spin to spin-kickstarts, ensure spin has
> > been tested, and release with rest of spins
> > * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
> > * Trademark approval: Requested
>

> I don't really see what benefit there is to having a spin for this.
Agreed. It would be better to put effort in packaging Astromatic
and possibly more astronomy software.

> It sounds like it might be just as effective to work with the GNOME
> Software folks on getting an Astronomy Tools group in the Software app
> made highly visible.
This would just be a matter of providing good appdata. kstars already
has a nice appdata file. When Astromatic is packaged, it should get one
too.

> We could then just advertise Astronomy-related functionality as a new
> feature of Workstation.
... or any other product or spin.

Zbyszek