Re: DKMS is not installing the right kernel-devel package

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I don’t think this would break the model: there would be no changes to packaging kernel-devel, you would still be able to install kernel-devel-$whateverversion, but a magic (dnf install ^kernel-devel-current) or “Requires: ^kernel-devel-current” would refer to a specific one.
>>
>> I'm not understanding what you're suggesting here.

> Essentially, a virtual provides called "kernel-devel-current" would
> always resolve to grab the kernel-devel package that corresponds with
> the running kernel, be it kernel-PAE, kernel-debug, or kernel (or for
> things like the Raspberry Pi 2, kernel-rpi2 or whatever it would be
> named). Other things that are safe with "kernel-devel" alone can still
> use that, preserving existing behavior when doing so.

Yes, I understand the concept.  What I don't understand is how one
would actually implement it.  As far as I can tell, it would have to
be done outside of the kernel package itself.  Perhaps as a DNF plugin
or something.  If so, then great but thus far the DNF developers have
been trying very hard to not treat the kernel and its subpackages as
special by any means.

josh