Re: yum for mock in RHEL 6?

On Mon, 2015-06-15 at 08:56 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 12.6.2015 v 00:28 Kevin Kofler napsal(a):
> > 1. The software we ship in Fedora (and that includes EPEL) should
> > work out of the box. If you cannot provide DNF (with the plugins)
> > in EPEL, then defaulting to yum is the only option.
> >
> > 2. The mock previously in EPEL actually worked for Rawhide (using
> > yum there), so you have taken existing user setups that worked and
> > broken them, for no practical benefit whatsoever (because all they
> > can do to make it work is to make exactly the settings change you
> > refuse to make by default, and because mock will just work with
> > yum).
>
> So you are suggesting what?
> Let silently use yum on EL hosts?

Kevin didn't say anything about it being silent.

By all means, do warn people that mock is going to use yum instead of
dnf as it should.

But an application should never print an error message telling the user
what they can do to get the error to go away. That's just bad design.

If the application knows what the user should do to get around the
error, then the application should just do it itself.

Finally, you're basically saying that mock requires dnf to build
"proper" Rawhide packages. You're a package maintainer, it is your
responsibility to maintain the dependencies for your package in all the
Fedora/EPEL branches where your package is.

That means if mock requires dnf (and its plugins) to build Rawhide
packages, and you maintain mock in EPEL, then it is your responsibility
to make sure that dnf (and its plugins) are in EPEL.

--
Mathieu