Re: F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

All that makes sense.  Thanks.

FWIW, I think that a little C program to spin up a namespace that's
good enough to point a stateless Firefox instance at a captive portal
login with overridden DNS nameserver settings would only be a couple
of hundred lines of code.  It could even accept a netns to use as part
of its input.  The only hard part would be convincing Firefox to show
an appropriate UI.

It wouldn't really have to be Firefox, but getting the browser chrome
right to avoid trivial phishing attacks is critical, and all real
browsers already do that fairly well, whereas the simple embedded web
views (e.g. gnome-shell-portal-helper) get it nearly 100% wrong.

dnssec-triggerd can be configured which application to give the url to
for hotspot login. Currently:

	login-command: "xdg-open"

If you write that little C program, I will test it as replacement for
xdg-open (which attimes does fail to appear for me, but usually I have
firefox open already so I create a new tab and hit 1.2.3.4)

We could ship it as part of dnssec-trigger or another package.

Paul