Re: F23 System Wide Change: Python 3 as Default

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, at 04:40 PM, Adam Miller wrote:

> I think the point that Colin is trying to make is that while Atomic
> Host does not depend on Ansible being installed, it is a very popular
> utility used to remotely manage (potentially large) sets of Atomic
> Hosts.

Right, see
https://github.com/eparis/kubernetes-ansible
as well as
https://lists.projectatomic.io/projectatomic-archives/atomic-devel/2015-April/msg00027.html

> Also, while Ansible is agentless it does require the remote
> machine to have python2 installed. Therefore, Fedora Atomic Host is
> likely to continue to ship Python 2.x as a part of it's default
> installation as it's in the best interest of a large population of
> it's user base.

Right.

> So for the time being, the switch to python3 as default for Atomic
> Host might not be an option or at the very least will be non-trivial
> in terms of what is in the best interest of the users.

This could be read in multiple ways, so to restate this (again for
the Nth time, not sure why I'm having trouble getting the point across),
I am just saying that the end result will be *both* versions.

Again: *both* versions.  Python 2 *and* Python 3.

Everything could be ported, except Python 2 would still be installed
even if no package on the host depended on it explicitly.

(Hmm, I should propose a patch to add it to the manifest,
 right now it's pulled in indirectly)

Which is a space increase, but we'll just live with it.

(I'm not the only person who works on Atomic Host so don't
 take my opinions here as entirely representative or final, but I'm
 stating my opinions based on current resourcing)

For how long would Python 2 be installed?  I don't know
but the conservative answer would probably be measured in
units of major versions.