Re: F23 System Wide Change: Python 3 as Default

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 08:50:14AM -0400, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: Python 3 as Default =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default
>
> Change owner(s):
> * Slavek Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat dot com>
> * Matej Stuchlik <mstuchli at redhat dot com>
> * Miro Hroncok <mhroncok at redhat dot com>
> * Thomas Spura <tomspur at fedoraproject dot org>
> * Robert Kuska <rkuska at redhat dot com>
>
> Up until now, Fedora has used Python 2 as the default Python implementation. This change proposes switching to Python 3. The details of the term "switching" are explained thoroughly in the Scope section.
>
> == Detailed Description ==
> It is currently mature and stable, since it has been under active
> development for five years
More than that, I'm sure.

> == Scope ==
> The main goal is switching to Python 3 as a default, in which state:
>     * DNF is the default package manager instead of Yum, which only works with Python 2
Does that mean that dnf-3 is going to become the default which is installed as /usr/bin/dnf?
Will "old" dnf be available as /usr/bin/dnf-2?

> Changes in packaging:
>     * Change definition of default python interpreter to python3.
What does that mean?

>     * Change unversioned python macros to python3 (Possibly do that change in upstream rpm)
Hm, I think that this will break hundreds of packages... Not everything has
been updated to use %{__python2} or %{__python3}, and of those that haven't been
updated, many probably are not ready for switching to python3. I think it
would be better to avoid a flag day, and simply slowly switch packages
one by one.

> * All applications that use only a single python version MUST use
>    python3 (unless they have a good reason not to do so).
Do you intend to file bugs for all such packages or notify maintainers
in some other way?

Zbyszek