Re: DKMS is not installing the right kernel-devel package

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 09.06.2015 um 22:38 schrieb Dan Book:
>>
>> That's great, for people who already know what to do. The problem is for
>> people who try to install dkms or akmods and then it doesn't work. There
>> are plenty of people who use dkms or akmods modules but don't compile
>> anything themselves (and those people are less likely to understand the
>> kernel-devel issue).
>

> which issue?
>
> you get the most recent kernel-devel and that's it
>
> if you don't reboot to the most recent kernel installed on your system
> before biuld dkmos/akmod modules - bad luck - but how is that a Fedora
> problem at all - both are helpers in case of wrong hardware decisions and so
> you need in the worst case to ivent 10 minutes of our time you saved by bouy
> random broken hardware
>
> that *is not* a Fedora problem at all - period

You're still assuming they installed kernel-devel manually.  Dan is
saying people using akmods or DKMS don't do that, which is true.  In
short, you're wrong that it isn't a Fedora problem but as Thorsten
said there is no great solution.

Please stop arguing now.

josh