Re: git perl-less build?

On 3.6.2015 20:11, Peter Robinson wrote:
Hi,

I have this request on bugzilla [0] for perl-less build of git due to large
dependency on Perl modules, which is unwanted for atomic.
There's actually a number of other usecases where having git without
pulling in perl would be very useful, it's been on my todo list to
investigate but not got to the top yet.

I am not sure that's good idea.
With this change we will create places for error messages about missing perl
modules and that's something what we don't want.

E.g. missing git-add--interactive will bring one unusable option which will
cause error message like this. I have two other bugs where I solve similar
troubles. Separate whole git-add doesn't make sense. So if this is good
trade off approved by others, OK, we can do that, with notice that some
error messages can appear.
I think git add should be in the base package so splitting out
--interactive would be useful. Could we work with upstream to get
"git-add--interactive" re-implemented in the language that the rest of
core git is implemented in so we don't have to drop the functionality
while removing the base dep on perl?

Maybe. But it isn't priority for now - at least on my todolist.
I don't know if git-add--interactive is single weak place of this split or
there are others yet, but it is only one which I see know.
I think it would be useful to do a review to work out exactly what
functionality is lost by moving the perl deps to a subpackage.
Actually it is moved core set of tools to *git-core* (or it will be git-minimal?) package and *git* package will keep same functionality as we are accustomed. This provides lots of time for testing and development (may even to next releases without angry
users).
 [...]
I would love to see this in F-23.
We work on it :-)