Re: F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Am 01.06.2015 um 21:38 schrieb Andrew Lutomirski:
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Once upon a time, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> said:
I'm with Jason here.  Glibc's resolver is amazingly buggy, and things
break randomly and unreproducibly when this happens.  A good setup
would have a local resolver and glibc would be configured to cache
nothing whatsoever.  Then, if you need to perform maintenance on the
local DNS cache, you can do it by flushing your local resolver rather
than trying to figure out how you're going to persuade every running
program to tell glibc to flush its cache.

glibc doesn't have a cache, except each process caching the settings in
/etc/resolv.conf.  That's part of the problem, because there's no way to
cache "first server in resolv.conf is not responding", so each lookup
has to figure that out for itself (many timeouts).

Glibc caches *something* that enabled the bug I hit.  I don't know
exactly what it's trying to cache, but it's certainly stateful

it don't cache dns respones - try it out in your local network
*client applications* may cache respones

try it out in your local network

* enter a non existing subdomain in firefox
* add the hostname to your LAN nameserver
* try again: firefox refuses
* restart just firefox
* it resolves without any delay

a) that proves no systemwide cachae
b) it proves with introduce a local systemdwide cache
   you introduce a problem not existing before