Re: F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015, Tomas Hozza wrote:

Yes, we think the change makes sense for Server. It is still
beneficial from the security point of view to do the DNSSEC
validation on Server.

Agreed.

Even though the configuration on Server
will be static, dnssec-trigger + unbound can be used for this.
Otherwise it would require manual configuration from the
administrator, to enable DNSSEC validation.

That really depends on the network. If there are no split-view DNS,
and no DNS firewall rules, just running unbound and resolv.conf
pointing to localhost as default would work.

But it would be better to use the LAN's DNS server. It will be
faster due to the upstream cache, and it will avoid any DNS ports
being firewalled.

This is either something the admin configures (eg during install
or anaconda, or in ifcfg-* files that unbound could use for an
unbound-control forward_add) or something that comes in via DHCP.
If via DHCP, unbound could have a hook into that (or NM if used)
without dnssec-trigger.

I see dnssec-trigger only as a tool for roaming devices such as
phones and laptops, that have a GUI and an enduser. On servers,
the various states of dnssec-trigger makes no sense - especially
with the lack of the hotspot problem on servers.

As for the Cloud, we are not sure. Maybe it makes sense on
the Atomic Host, but we want to discuss this with people
involved in the Cloud product(s).

For lean single application containers or small cloud instances, the
focus is probably on not duplicating unbound 1000x times on the same
hardware. So yes, those considerations are quite different, and still
a hot topic. Does one trust a cloudy DNSSEC server, or do validation
within the instance/container. If inside, per-app or per-container?
Those would most likely not want to run an unbound daemon, but rely
on something like getdns or edns-query-chain and just the DNSSEC
root key to do their validation.

Paul