Re: fedup for F23 and beyond

Am 28.05.2015 um 22:12 schrieb Josh Boyer:
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
when i hear "offline update" i have enough at all

frankly what people really need is relieable and fast *online updates* and
not taking the esay road "well go offline" and that works pretty well over
many years now *with expierience* what services you need to restart and if
you should log off or just close specific applicatoons and start them again

giving up and say "meh i am not able and so go offline" may work for some
part of the userbase, that maybe even fine *as long* efforts to continue
what we have now for many many years for advanced users won't die

I understand the sentiment.  I don't like rebooting for updates
either.  However, our "efforts" on live online updates to date have
been "we'll let RPM update this and maybe throw some scripts at it to
restart things and hope it works."  It does in a lot of cases and
doesn't in others.  And our advanced users are distinguished by the
fact that they can figure out when it doesn't work and then fix
things.  That isn't really a _better_ experience than offline updates.
It's just familiar to you

no, it is not just familiar to me

i came in 2006 from Windows because i had enough of this reboots all the time because of updates and software installations and hearing that nearly 10 years later linux distribution seriously consider to went back that road makes me puke