Re: dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Am 10.04.2015 um 15:15 schrieb Jan Zelený:
It is naive, in my opinion, to assume that Fedora is going to supply all the
packages one might need. I quite frequently run into the problem of
dependencies from other repos clashing with Fedora's, and others and have
to use the information provided by yum to determine how to clean things up.
In what is proposed now I will have to do two steps to determine there is a
problem.

Ok, I think I understand your problem a little better now, even though I still
maintain the opinion that dnf should not be a debugging tool. I have seen a
few proposals here that have the potential to be a nice compromise.

Also I wonder if dnf check-update is actually useful. From what I've read
here, it seems it's barely used. If dnf is to have its functionality covered
by the upgrade command, perhaps it's possible to remove the check-update
command

we use "yum check-update" regulary once per day on the admin server to check for available security updates in "updates-testing" and report the available ones via cron mail

that's prodcution, on developer and admin workstations "yum upgrade" is enough

#!/usr/bin/bash
yum_output=`LANG=C; yum --enablerepo=updates-testing -q check-update --security 2> /dev/null`
echo $yum_output | xargs | sed 's/ updates//g' | tr -d '\n'