Re: dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Dne 10.4.2015 v 13:04 Jan Zelený napsal(a):
> On 10. 4. 2015 at 09:34:15, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Again, dnf check-update already does that
>> Again: that argument is pointless because *nobody* is calling it by hand
>> after "dnf upgrade" and so that information is *not* available for the
>> regular dnf/yum user
> The vision for dnf is to be more simple and more effective tool for admins that
> will not try to solve problems of other components. On the other hand we want
> to enable package maintainers and other advanced users to achieve their use
> cases somehow but dnf will never be a debugging tool. Bottom line, we will
> consider this feature request but considering it is the only promise I can
> give you.
>
> Thanks
> Jan

To be honest, I never run "check-update" and I will never run it. If I
want to update my system, I run "update", check the list and if there is
nothing worrisome, I proceed. If there is something I dislike in the
list, I quit.

So check-update might be useful for some script, but it is not useful
command for common user. Not mentioning that man page basically says:
"Please  note  that  having a specific newer version available for an
installed package (and reported by check-update) does not imply that
subsequent dnf upgrade will install it. The difference is that dnf
upgrade must also ensure the satisfiability of all dependencies and
other restrictions". In other words, it says it is more or less
unreliable command.

Vít