Re: dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

On 3. 4. 2015 at 08:34:16, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There's some confusion around this, so I thought I would post to try
> > and clear up things. In the event I am wrong on any of the below, please
> > do feel free to correct me. ;)
> >
> > In the past the proposal was to have a yum-dnf package that provided
> > /usr/bin/yum, called dnf and conflicted with the yum package. I was
> > against that plan, but I think the one we settled on is worth doing.
> > It's somewhat of a middle ground between "yum is gone right now,
> > deal with it" and "you can keep using yum forever".
>
> I'm reading it. I'm afraid it's unnecessarily confusing, and there's
> already a workable approach with "/etc/alternatives" used for Java and
> sendmail equivalents. Why re-invent the wheel?
>
> > For f22 (and rawhide):
> >
> > * dnf is installed by default. By that I mean it is in the 'core' group
> >
> >   in comps.
> >
> > * dnf-yum is installed by default. By that I mean it is in the 'core'
> >
> >   group in comps next to dnf.
>
> As opposed to providing the binaries or wrappers in an alternative
> location, adding /etc/alternatives hooks to link dnf-yum components to
> /usr/bin/yum, and putting in .spec staqnzs that says "Provides: yum"
>
> > * yum is installed if something that depends on yum pulls it in or say
> >
> >   a user installs it manually.
> >
> > * yum requires dnf-yum. So, if you install yum manually you will also
> >
> >   pull in dnf-yum (and the dnf plugin that handles history migrate).
>
> As opposed to alternating the binary installation location and using
> /etc/alternatives to link it to /usr/bin/yum.
>
> This approach is old and effective for Java, for /usr/sbin/sendmail,
> and for numerous other tools. Why would you want to reinvent the wheel
> and prevent people from having either as needed?
>
> > * When you run 'yum' you get:
> >
> > % sudo yum list foobar
> > Yum command has been deprecated, use dnf instead.
> > See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information.
> > To transfer transaction metadata from yum to DNF, run 'dnf migrate'
> > Redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf list foobar'
> >
> > ...then the ouput from dnf list foobar...
> >
> > * If you wish to still use yum, the yum package provides now
> >
> >   a /usr/bin/yum-deprecated command that is the old yum
> >   command renamed. It also has the notice message as above
> >   on it.
>
> See above.
>
> > * If you are using the yum python bindings directly, that will continue
> >
> >    to work if you have the yum package installed.
> >
> > Note that this landed before Beta freeze, but there were some issues
> > with the initial package doing this. There is an update available:
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/yum-3.4.3-505.fc22
> >
> > I think this helps those users who read any of the docs out there
> > that say to 'yum install foo' at the cost of those people who need
> > some specific command line behavior from yum. The second group
> > is much better positioned to use yum-deprecated or know whats
> [...]

I think you might have misunderstood what's happening. We don't want to offer
dnf as an alternative to yum. Dnf is its successor. Yum is deprecated by dnf
in F22 and is very likely going to be removed in one of the next releases.
That's why we want to migrate users to dnf but at the same time we want to
give them a possibility to stay a little bit longer on yum if absolutely
necessary.

Thanks for understanding
Jan