Re: dnf debug-info-install

On 7. 4. 2015 at 07:25:32, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 14:15 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > Dne 7.4.2015 v 14:09 Michael Catanzaro napsal(a):
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want 'dnf debug-info-install' to be available by default on
> > > Workstation.
> >
> > Sorry for my ignorance, but why it should be installed by default?
> >
> > Vít
>
> Because gdb recommends you use it whenever it detects that debuginfo
> is missing. :-) Then the process for figuring out how to install it is
> unnecessarily complex; you either have to magically know that it's
> present in dnf-plugins-extras, or else magically know about the
> yum2dnf man page and scroll to the very bottom of that (which I only
> found because I ran the old debuginfo-install command, which gdb no
> longer recommends, so new users won't find it). Much better to just
> install it by default, IMO. Or make it a dependency of gdb: that would
> be fine too. (Gosh, another great case for Recommends, if only we were
> allowed to use Recommends!)

You are right, this is a perfect use case for Recommends. Making gdb depend on
python-dnf-plugins-extras-debug would be my second choice. Installing a plugin
by default just because it's more convenient in some situation is not wise.

> Anyway, whatever in dnf-plugins-extras that depends on snapper really
> ought to move to another package. That is not a reasonable dependency.
> It tries (and fails) to snapshot my system whenever I run 'dnf', hence
> I uninstalled dnf-plugins-extras soon after I installed it.

Note that dnf-plugins-extras is just a metapackage, the plugins themselves are
placed in individual subpackages. I assume you are looking for python-dnf-
plugins-extras-debug.

HTH
Jan