Re: FESCO request to revert password confirmation change in F22

Am 08.03.2015 um 17:24 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
There's also a counterproductive effect. Passwords that are enforced,
by policy, to be nonsensical gibberish tend to be written down,
because no one can remember them. And because no one can remember
them, they're written down in easily accessed locations. The classic
storage is the Post-it note on the secretary's desk, but I see a lot
of people who should know better writing them into source control
systems that everyone in the company can read

correct

not so problematic in case of a policy rejecting "insecure" passwords *but* the real problem are security auditors claiming you have to disable the option to store a password in your browser for web-applications

yes, if someone can access that password store you have a problem but given you have a master-password configured the access to the whole firefox profile is pointless

if you are forced to note in somewhere it's likely a more dangerous place, if someone combines that policy with "you have to change your password every month" he is a fool with a theoretic view not aware what damage he does

as example my my passwords are 26 chars long, the generator is self written even using openssl random stuff and if some idiot forbids me to store that *impossible to remember* passwords and enforce to change them all the time he gains nothing but problems