Re: F22 System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform in Fedora

On 02/25/2015 06:39 AM, Hedayat Vatankhah wrote:

/*Kevin Kofler*/ wrote on Wed, 25 Feb 2015 01:31:59 +0100:
Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
= Proposed System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform
in Fedora =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LegacyJDKsInFedora

Change owner(s): Jiri Vanek<jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx>
IMHO, this is not implementable for a simple practical reason: All the JARs
we ship are built from source with our default JDK. They will in general NOT
work on any JRE that's older than the default JDK. (A JRE/JDK that's NEWER
than the default JDK can work though, e.g., the java-1.8.0-openjdk packages
in Fedora 19 and 20. But we were already providing those.)

To avoid state of things you just described, this proposal was described.
Nothing will be compiled or run by legacy jdk if those rules are kept, not even by accident.

Howevewr people willingly and with full consequence wil be able to use legacy jdk for third party apps, or go on theirs system on theirs own responsibility.

I'd say this proposal is very similar to my proposal[1] for libraries: the legacy JDKs can be useful
for the user when facing with non-Fedora development. IMHO, it is fine, and even great, that no
Fedora JARs will depend on legacy JDK. However, if there are JAR files which are useful for a
developer, they can have a -legacy version too!

Yes. This is the intention.

Regards,
Hedayat

[1] "Proposal to (formally/easily) allowing multiple versions of the same library installable" thread

J,