Re: [Proposal] Ring-based Packaging Policies

On 02/13/2015 08:14 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
Second, I will call attention to the fact that different Fedora
users have very different needs from the software. For example,
those running Fedora Server and Fedora Cloud are likely far more
concerned with Fedora as a *deployment* platform than they are as a
*development* platform. Folks running Fedora Workstation or the KDE
spin are likely to be somewhat more interested in the development
side of things (though not exclusively).

Fedora Workstation includes very, very few development-related
packages, to the degree that it is completely unusable (by itself) for
almost all developers.

I share this experience. I used "Fedora Workstation" on my machines, but found myself heavily customizing it, because it did not suite my needs ("Development" + "Classic (xfce) Desktop") + "file/print server").

> Many important development tools are completely outside the
> Fedora.Next package set.
ACK. They seem to be addressing the "GnomeOS-Massmarket Consumer Desktop" and "Data Center" use-cases. Both aren't mine.

>  Previously, they were just a “yum install”
> away, and there was little difference in practice.
In comparison to former releases, with F21, I had to remove many more packages and then to install many more other packages :-)

Ralf