Re: another input/output question (libinput / pulseaudio / ....)

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:47:16AM +0100, Damian Ivanov wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am happy owner of a Razer 7.1 Chroma Headset (my girlfriend makes
> the right presents :))
>
> There are various issues with this product as well as with some
> devices in general.
> I can of course open separate bug reports for each issue (if needed)
>
> 1) As I tried rawhide today with xorg-x11-drv-libinput I noticed that
> the Headset is listed as input device
> type: keyboard;map:us;
> I guess that's because it has a mute button on the retractable micro
> (suggestion: libinput type:headset??)

X itself doesn't know about anything but pointers and keyboards (after all,
they comprised the vast majority of devices in the 80s :) So the best you
can expect here is a different log message.

However, especially for libinput, it gets hazy and also mostly pointless.
aside from some special processing required for touchpads and tablets, we
don't care much _what_ a device is, we just pass on the events.  If a device
has keys, it'll be a keyboard. if it sents KEY_MUTE we pass that on, the
compositor/X stack will then handle that however need be. There's no real
benefit to us trying to figure out what is a headset and what isn't, we'd
still just pass on the keys.

Cheers,
   Peter