Re: Removing (or trying to) BerkeleyDB from Fedora

Am 08.01.2015 um 16:10 schrieb David Cantrell:
On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 09:32:04AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why does v6 having an incompatible license mean we should get rid of v5?
BerkeleyDB is widely used because it meets a need, and v5 meets that
need in a license-compatible way for many programs.  What benefit is
there in trying to remove it?

In addition to Chris' question, shouldn't this effort be driven
upstream first?  I'm concerned that removing BerkeleyDB from these
packages within Fedora will become a series of ever-lasting
micro-forks.  Also, is there a recommended replacement for libdb?

It's not a drop-in replacement, but I have seen sqlite be a viable option
for projects wanting some database library and wanting a stable API.  Many
upstream projects that can use berkdb have grown sqlite support as an
option

that option don't help existing setups starting with a virgin config after upgrades and so get completly broken

you also need to keep in mind that Fedora is a *operating system* and the purpose of a OS is to build up own work on top of - than includes scripts for maintain setups and configurations and so on

if you break bdb and so over years perfect running postfix setups with scripts generate and postmap configs that user will have the last time in his life installed Fedora on a server - that can't be a good consideration after F21 shipped a server product