Re: Removing (or trying to) BerkeleyDB from Fedora

Am 08.01.2015 um 15:18 schrieb Chris Adams:
Once upon a time, Jan Staněk <jstanek@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
The topic of BerkeleyDB v6 in Fedora was already discussed at this list
[1], and it turned out that peaceful cooperation of multiple libdb
versions in system is very problematic. As some packages cannot use
newer versions, we are basically stuck with v5 - unless we get rid of it
altogether or find another solution.

Why does v6 having an incompatible license mean we should get rid of v5?
BerkeleyDB is widely used because it meets a need, and v5 meets that
need in a license-compatible way for many programs.  What benefit is
there in trying to remove it?

NO NO NO AND NO AGAIN

* spamassassin
* postfix
* netatalk

these are only after thinking 5 seconds which *heavily* makes use of it

if it ain't broken don't break it - nobody is going to migrate his bayes to MySQL in case of SpamAssassin, rebuild his netatalk cnid-db or rewrite all his complex postfix configurations and scripts generating hash-tables and run postmap on them for some *political* reasons

yes, i can build libdb5 at my own - but to gain what?