Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Am Wed, 31 Dec 2014 11:25:58 +0000
schrieb devel-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 13:58:47 -0800
> From: Luya Tshimbalanga <luya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
> 	<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora,	but stemming
> 	from gnome-software and desktop environments
>
> On 30/12/14 12:34 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:

> >> Compiler and  interpreters i.e.Glade having GUI and implements app-data
> >> (supposedly mandatory starting on Fedora 22)  will be displayed on Gnome
> >> Software.
> >
> > Glade is neither a compiler nor an interpreter, it's an IDE.
> My bad.
> >
> >> Gnome Software is to abstract the package concept to only
> >> focus on applications accessible to desktop.
> >
> > Agreed. And I can see some usecases where this makes a lot of sense.
> >
> > But the question then becomes if this is the proper thing to do for
> > the Workstation target user which is a developer. As such, she will in
> > many cases want to install things like gcc, different python stacks
> > using collections, text processing tools and so on. None of which with
> > a GUI. She will also sometimes be interested in multiple desktops for
> > testing etc., causing the "MATE apps not visible" problem.
> >
> What about DevAssistant that comes with Fedora Workstation? Have you
> tried it?
> MATE apps not visible means they needed app-data included on their
> .desktop files hence the pleas from Richard Hughes.
This is all done since some months in upstream and will land in fedora with mate-1.10 soon.
But i don't think that mate devs are very happy and motivated to do more because of the restricted
gsettings defaults of gnome-software.
[rave at fedora-21 ~]$ gsettings get org.gnome.software compatible-projects
['GNOME', 'KDE', 'XFCE']

In general mate desktop don't need such a software because outside from fedora most other major distros don't use gnome as default desktop.
And for fedora mate use yumex and for f22 we will use yumex-dnf.

Wolfgang