Re: Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The question is: is it more confusing for novice users to include a
> graphical package manager by default, or to not include it?

tl;dr Oh absolutely it's confusing as well as incredibly frustrating.
I think software installations should only happen through an
application installer (e.g. GNOME Software, or OS Xs' App Store); or
through drag and drop copy to install. That method of installation on
OS X (I think it's actually a NeXT inheritance, we didn't have this on
OS 9 and older) is fantastic as it uninstallation: drag and drop into
the trash, empty trash.

Superfluous anecdote:
The first time I ran GNOME Package years ago, you should have seen the
WTFITS expression on my face. And that reaction wasn't about the UI,
it was the hours long process of coming to grips with part of the
software sausage making factory. I was surprised that this wasn't
abstracted from me.

The natural explanation is that I was coming from Candy Land OS. But
neither OS X nor Windows have a package manager. OS X does have a
package installer that executes .mpkg and .pkg file installs, but
there's no listing of what's installed or what can be installed and no
concept of a repository. App Store can do those things but both App
Store and GNOME Software post-date my first experience with a
graphical package manager - which was, I'd have preferred getting
sick. At least that'd have lasted two or three days and I'd be done
with it. Package management is the gift that keeps on giving.

But insofaras this is what we're stuck with, I really like what
Software has done to the UX, even though I had no choice but to first
grok packages and package management before it came along. These days
I don't mind yum and actually kinda like dnf. But still my preference
would be to see packages obliterated from user domain for sure.

--
Chris Murphy