Re: 5tFTW: Fedora 21, 22, and 19, firewall discussion, and holiday break

Am 20.12.2014 um 22:19 schrieb Michael Catanzaro:
On Sat, 2014-12-20 at 17:51 +0100, Mattia Verga wrote:
Maybe I put it too simple, but instead of opening all high ports by
default what about having firewall rules declared in RPMs for
packages
that need to have ports opened?

Because we need to support applications that use random ports

first: you should not quote only parts and stop reading premature

what about first try to fix that applications instead burry the default firewall to make them happy - since networking is my daily job i see no single reason to design a *server* for listen on random ports and there is really no single reason to make security decisions based on *one* desktop and it's shipped applications

you completly ignored the following paragraph, my guess is because "ask the user" is considered harmful by GNOME upstream

The alternative could be a "open approach" from Firewalld, where an application, when it's executed, can inform firewalld that needs to open a port, firewalld asks the user if it should grant access to the application and then opens the port... but this needs to be implemented in the source of every application, it can eventually be sponsored to become a standard in the linux world.