Re: F21 downloads repository metadata in 3 places!

/*Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>*/ wrote on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 22:19:25 +0100:

Am 13.12.2014 um 22:10 schrieb Hedayat Vatankhah:
I noticed that F21 can potentially download repository metadata 3 times:
1. Yum cache 2. DNF cache 3. PackageKit cache! It really hurts to see
how Fedora ignorance towards different kind of users is being increased
as time passes. If Fedora is an international distro, it should try to
consider condition of different users, not just a portion of them.
Fedora repository metadata format was already hostile, it wastes
bandwidth considerably downloading mostly useless data repeatedly.
Things got worse for DNF as it decides to also always download filelists.

Now, Fedora 21 contains yum, dnf and PackageKit (software center) with
new backend. Surprisingly, PackageKit uses its own separate cache. DNF
refreshes its cache automatically (without user's consent) every 3 hours
by default (according to 'man dnf.conf'). PackageKit also does the same,
but I don't know when it does (also without user's consent).

the automatic metadata refresh is a no-go

frankly in the meantime only the metadata are half as large as some of my server setups at all (our asterisk PBX needs 850 MB with F20)

Now, if you are exclusively a 'yum' user, you'll end up with 3
repository metadata downloads

"systemctl mask dnf-makecache.timer" stops the new nosense

if you are not using GNOME and YUM from CLI you can remove package kit at all and frankly my typical command is "rm -rf /var/cache/yum*; yum upgrade" because when i look for updates i want the *now* recent metadata and don't need them refreshed one hour ago
*I* know how to disable them (or at least, I hope so! Maybe there is/will be a foo package who decides to download its own copy too!), but that's not the point of my post. What I expect is either: 1. disable all kinds of potentially demanding internet access by default and let people enable if they like; or 2. add an option to anaconda, or a post installation option, so that the user can decide if he wants automatic metadata/package updates for *Fedora* (not a specific DE/application) or not. And the options should be applied to the whole distribution consistently, even if you use multiple DEs. (And hey, you might find 'yum clean expire-cache' a better alternative for the 'rm -rf' command you use!)

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i packagekit
[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$

<sarcasm>maybe someone should place a bandwidh-limiting of 0.5 Mbit and a onhtly limit of 1 GB per month in front of developers to wake them up</sarcasm>
That would be great! ;) I think even 1 month of such experience should be more than enough!