Re: AppData Screenshot Requirements

Mr. Hughes, I have a complaint.

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you want things to be pixel-crisp and your application ships only
> one screenshot use 752x423. If you've got multiple screenshots use
> 624x351, or integer multiples thereof. You can still ship random sized
> screenshots bigger than 312x175 and we'll pad them out to the right
> size and shape, but choosing a 16:9 resolution makes everything look
> consistent in the software center. If you think 312x175 is being too
> strict, you really need to have a look at this:
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/screenshots/f22/624x351/proofgeneral-4d9bd746838746355151f75f38e3ac4c.png
> -- I'm considering making 624x351 the smallest screenshot size allowed
> for F22/F23 although this may be too strict at this stage.

You, personally, asked that AppData be created for *all* packages [1].
I took you seriously.

You, personally, told me that "any screenshot is better than no
screenshot" [2].  I took you seriously.

I spent hours of my personal time, time that I could have spent in
other pursuits, to create AppData for a number of packages and try to
push upstreams to take it.  Then you started throwing my work away,
because you didn't like a toolkit, or you didn't like an icon size,
discarding work that I spent precious time on based on criteria that
*were not revealed up front* (see [1] again).  And now you have
rewarded my efforts to take you seriously by holding those efforts up
for public shame and ridicule.

When one is managing an effort staffed by volunteers, "Do not waste
the volunteers' time" and "Do not embarrass the volunteers in front of
large groups of people" ought to be on one's top ten list of guiding
principles for the effort.  You could have sent me private email
telling me that the ProofGeneral screenshot is too ugly to live.  I
would have been fine with that.  Please understand that my motivation
to continue assisting with the AppData effort has been decreasing over
time, and has now hit a new low.  For your sake, I hope that is not
true of other volunteers as well.

Please send me a list of the AppData in my packages that is not up to
your standards, or will not be up to your standards next year, and I
will do a git push to make it disappear.