Re: Poll: How users use DNF

On Tuesday 09 December 2014 18:39:25 Radek Holy wrote:
> Wow, I have already received a lot of feedback from you. I have not read it all yet. I very much appreciate it. Feel free to add even more feedback :-)
> I just forgot to mention that even your own aliases, plugins, workarounds and the other hacks you always need to do your job properly would be very interesting for us.

OK, this isn't a direct DNF/YUM item, but still...

I have several workstations/laptops with the same Fedora version (currently 20):
 * Downloading the same RPM's/DRPM's for each of these hosts is a huge waste.
 * OTOH, I haven't found a no-brainer yum-proxy (a-la Debian's apt-proxy
   or apt-cacher-ng)
 * I update them daily. I do this manually to have a quick look at what changes.
 * Sometimes I update via KDE apper (which use PackageKit, which calls
   yum backend).
 * But most of the time I do this over ssh, using DNF (it's faster...)

So my workaround is:
 * I have a script: "yumcache_to <hostname>"
 * This copies (via rsync) all RPM's/DRPM's under /var/cache/yum.
   Last year I also added /var/cache/dnf.
 * It doesn't copy the meta-data files (for safety -- maybe they are in
   the middle of update via PackageKit or some cron-job).
 * When I started using DNF, I modified my script to also cross-hard-link
   all packages between yum and dnf caches before the rsync.
 * This effectively make them behave as a unified cache. Since some of
   my updates are via yum (e.g: via PackageKit) and some via dnf -- this
   cross-hard-linking also save extra downloads.

For this to be effective:
 * I have a keepcache=1 in /etc/yum.conf and keepcache=true in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
 * I have another "yumcache_dillute" script that remove old RPM's from caches
   (by time-stamp).

As said, this isn't directly yum/dnf issue, but your are the people that can
think of the missing pieces (some yum/dnf proxy -- that maps url's
across mirrorlist -- so the same RPM's is a proxy hit, regardless of
which exact mirror it was pulled off)

Thank you all,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron

...there are two types of command interfaces in the world of
             computing: good interfaces and user interfaces.
                            - Dan Bernstein, Author of qmail