Re: How many users does Fedora have?

On 01/12/14 12:26, Alec Leamas wrote:
While we're on it (in the form "how many devs do we have"): How
hard/impossible/unsuitable would it be to get a usable estimate on the #
of users, per package?

[cut]

Some 50 messages later... and stopping by Ben's question about which are the questions we should ask.

Thanks for all input on this thread! I have tried to summarize it at [1]. A tentative Executive Summary:

We will probably not get useful absolute numbers. However, relative numbers and trends should be both possible and useful.

Privacy concerns blocks collecting of otherwise useful info. Based on this, I have more or less limited the questions to what can be deduced from installed software and yum/dnf logs.

Q: How much are products and spins are actually used?
Q: How is the package I created actually used?
Q  Which package does users prefer?
Q: Which non-Fedora packages does users need to install?
Q: How are packages updated?
Q: How many users uses platform X/architecture Y?

[1] http://leamasblog.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/how-many-users-does-fedora-have/