Re: How many users does Fedora have?

On 01/12/14 15:20, Jan Zelený wrote:
On 1. 12. 2014 at 14:40:44, Alec Leamas wrote:
On 01/12/14 13:56, Jan Zelený wrote:
On 1. 12. 2014 at 12:26:07, Alec Leamas wrote:
While we're on it (in the form "how many devs do we have"): How
hard/impossible/unsuitable would it be to get a usable estimate on the #
of users, per package?

Here are so many problems, technical, policy, resources, (others?). That
said, feedback in the form "How many users uses/installs my package"
would IMHO be a great input for any packager. It would be the difference
between dropping the package in a black hole vs getting a message back
from the community.

Lets face it: I envy those who can measure the usage from a download
counter or so. Can we have something similar?

Could we even give people a badge when users actually uses a package ?
(hrmpf :) )

Hi Alec,
there are some plans in Fedora to start collecting some stats. Maybe not
on
the per-package level but at least on the per-product level. See [1] and
[2] for details.

Hi!

Thanks for input!

When driven by "overall promotion and marketing strategy" as in [1] it
seems logical to focus on the product level. This also have technical
implications, since it boils down to something simple which can be sent
through a http header.

My starting point was the need for packagers to get feedback, by
definition on package level. Seems that any solution for this should
solve also the needs in [1], but it's more complicated and certainly not
the quick fix described in that bug.

Bottom line: perhaps this bug isn't that related to this discussion,
unless we can convince them to handle also the packager view in it.

You are right, it's not directly related but if Fedora leaders plan to analyze
logs for these sort of stats, perhaps they might be willing to extend the
scope of the analysis.

Thanks
Jan

Some by mistake private messages, now to list

--alec