Re: Dash as default shell

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:
My thought is this whole topic was started as a result of the recent Bash vulnerability which has since been corrected.  Not bad for a product that has been around for decades.  Nothing against Dash, but changing a default isn't something that should be done each time the wind changes direction.  A bit of disk space savings or processing time IMO isn't a sufficient reason either. That can change quite rapidly between products and their updates.  When a default is chosen it sets up an expectation of familiarity and stability within the user community.  It shouldn't be changed unless there is an EXTREMELY compelling reason.  I've seen quite a few posts lately regarding the changing of this default or that default.  I think what gets lost in these conversations is what default status means.  People are down in the weeds and can't see the forest for the trees.

Thank you Gerald, you have expressed exactly my point of view :)