Re: fedora-review: 'Illegal return' warnings

On 10/04/2014 10:18 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
Hm.... seems that recent bash patch to fix the shellshock problem
introduces this. Fedora-review relies on exported shell functions
(export -f) and the bash fix changes the syntax for exported functions
in an incompatible way.

It's the attempt at cleaning up the environment, see /usr/share/fedora-review/plugins/shell_api.py:

unset $(env | sed -n 's/=.*//p')

With exported functions, that was fairly broken before (with multi-line function definitions and “=” somewhere in the body), but after the bash change, this is much more obvious and is even triggered by the exported function in the environment-modules package. It would have been preferable to clean the environment either in the Python code, or wrap the shell invocation with “env -i”.

I still hope we can agree with upstream on another bash change which hides these bugs again, but it's difficult to separate this aspect from the security/hardening discussions which generate much more interest, overshadowing anything else. (Upstream's “%%” would have generated errors here as well.)

By the way, it doesn't seem to me fedora-review needs exported functions, the function definitions are sourced as needed, so they don't have to be in the environment.