Re: dnf vs yum

Am 04.10.2014 um 16:49
First think of me of as just an slightly above average user :)

I am sorry I did not fully follow the discussions earlier.
I only recall it was supposed to exist some compatibility
layer at some point.

    But I keep all the time needing to

$ sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

there is no need to do so

I switched to using dnf because yum stopped working at
some point. I think it was something related to a libdb-5
update when only dnf would work.

but than you have a different problem not really
related to the subject

because I forget and use yum instead of dnf in rawhide.

I am not really needing anything special, just install
a package, or run "dnf update" to update rawhide

but why do you think you need to touch anything below
/var/lib/rpm/? that's the rpm database you should never
touch without damned good reasons like follow dist-upgrade
instructions

I learned to do that (rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*) long long ago, as the
standard way to recover from "minor" rpm database corruption. But
I survived extreme cases where not even "rpm --rebuilddb" would
work. As long as the Packages database is not (completely) corrupted,
it should be possible to recover...

as said: than you have a much deeper problem

you can happily use "yum" and "dnf" on the same setup
all the time and the warnings "rpm database modified"
or similar are harmless, you may even trigger them by
touch the rpmdb by hand

It does not work for me... I sent the email because, I again, forgot
and run
$ sudo yum update

and gone to another terminal, a bit later I learned that yum
thought all updates would be duplicates, so I did

$ sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
$ sudo dn update

sent the email, and now, update to latest rawhide has already
finished...

again: something is broken on your system and you should
fix that with the help of "package-cleanup" and options
like dupes, prohans and so on

what you see is not normal and don't match the subject

both, yum and dnf are *frontends* for the rpm database
which is a complete different layer hence you can
use plain "rpm -Uvh", yum and dnf as you like if it
don't come to dependencies where dnf/yum are still
frontends for rpm and just do the work you would
normally need to do by hand